Outpatient back surgery involves operations on the spine that are minimally invasive, letting you go home the same day. These procedures are less complicated than historical spine surgeries and have a lower rate of infection. Most types of outpatient spine surgery involve spinal and joint pain caused by damaged vertebrae.
Outpatient spine surgeries available at Jackson Neurosurgery Clinic:
- Minimally Invasive/Endoscopic Spine Surgery: This surgery on the bones of your spine uses small incisions. As a result, nearby muscles and other tissues don’t suffer extensive trauma as in traditional spine surgery. The recovery time is shorter and, typically, less painful.
- Sacroiliac Joint Fusion: It’s another minimally invasive procedure requiring a two-inch incision. The surgeon uses titanium implants to provide stability to the sacroiliac joint. In most cases, the procedure takes 45 minutes.
- Kyphoplasty: Guided by an x-ray image, the surgeon inserts a needle in the spine. Kyphoplasty involves a small balloon tamp inserted via the needle into the targeted vertebrae. The surgeon inflates the balloon to decompress the vertebrae. Then, the surgeon fills the resulting cavity with acrylic bone cement to keep the spinal structure intact.
- Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Release: During the procedure, the surgeon cuts the transverse carpal tunnel, making room for the median nerve to pass through clearly. This is one of the most common outpatient spine surgeries, and it reduces pain and improves functionality.
- Cubital Tunnel Release: This procedure treats cubital tunnel syndrome, where the ulnar nerve becomes compressed in the narrow opening that passes along the elbow. To alleviate the associated arm pain and numbness, the surgeon releases pressure on the ulnar nerve.
- ACDF (Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion): This outpatient spine surgery involves the cervical (neck) spine. The surgeon removes a damaged disc, relieving pressure on the spinal cord. As a result, you experience relief from numbness, tingling, and weakness in the area.
- Cervical Disc Replacement: This procedure replaces a diseased cervical disc with an artificial one. Prior to this minimally invasive procedure, the surgeon removes the damaged disc, fusing the vertebrae below and above it, effectively immobilizing the area.
- Lumbar Disc Replacement: In this outpatient surgery, the surgeon replaces a worn disc in the low spine with an artificial one made of metal or metal and plastic.
- Lumbar Fusions: This procedure involves taking out a disc between two vertebrae. The vertebrae are then fused together. The surgeon makes an incision in the back and removes the disc through the spinal canal. This leaves behind a clear space between the vertebrae.
Consult with Dr. Lewis for Outpatient Spine Surgery
Dr. Adam I. Lewis has performed innumerable outpatient spine surgeries in Jackson, MS, and other cities across the country. He has also taught these life-saving procedures, which can alleviate pain, restore function, and shorten the recovery period.
To find out if you’re a good candidate for one of these procedures, call Jackson Neurosurgery Clinic at (601) 366-1011 or contact us online. We’ll find a solution that works for you.